Okay, okay, we're sorry. It's just we haven't gone anywhere exciting and we never think you guys want to hear too much about what's going on with work. But I think I can pull together a pretty informative update.
First of all....Halloween. One of my favorites :) Mostly cuz dressing up and candy!
Apparently it is a holiday Aussie's know and celebrate. It's not as big or as extravagant as some places in the States, but still. Staff had a Halloween party put on by the Social Club. Linds and I spent four hours catching up on Supernatural (fitting) and then got dressed. We kind of pulled outfits together a few hours before (we got ideas off pinterest).
Linds dressed as a scarecrow (straw hat, checked shirt, jeans, and face paint) and I got my idea from talking to Molly. We've read this book called The Night Circus by Eric Morgenstern and the theme of this circus was all black and white. So, I had a black and white dress with some cool designs on it and Linds did my make-up. (the internet is being stupid so I cannot upload pics here. there are some on facebook if you want to see).
While there was no bobbing for apples or halloween music besides Thriller, we did have a really good time. Some people went all out with their costumes and it was pretty cool seeing them and all the hard work they put into a few hours at staff bar. Megan should have won best costume for her Mad Hatter outfit but she arrived too late :(
I will confess that I did drink way too much and I don't really remember much of the second half of my night (eep!) and if it wasn't for Amelia I would probably be dead (a bit dramatic, but still). No, seriously, she took care of me and she is amazing and I love her.
I have vowed though never to drink again so we'll see how long that lasts. Probably until we go to Denman's again :)
Unfortunately, Halloween on Thurs night was the last good day for most of us. Jeff had flown home for three days to get his last check up at the hospital (HE IS 100% CANCER FREE!!!!!!!!!)
and he got back Friday (so he missed the Halloween party).
(for those of you who need an update, Jeff and Amelia are pretty much our closest and most trusted friends on the island and we love them and would die for them)
Anyways, we've all had continuously bad days at work. We're all pretty broken when it comes to work at the moment. Just complaints from guests, service falling apart, heat from managers, etc.) And to top it off, I haven't been steadily feeling worse and worse until today, my throat felt so swollen and I couldn't swallow without it feeling like glass shards tearing it up and my head hurt so bad...I still managed to pull my butt out of bed at 6 a.m. the past two days to work breakfast and dinner last night and breakfast again this morning...ugh.
I'm calling in sick tomorrow. I can't work another breakfast shift. But even then, in order to get off work I have to still walk ten minutes to the North End and see the nurse to get her signature on it :(
And those who know me know I hate being sick and missing school or work because of it, but no one here is taking me seriously when I say I'm not feeling good. I've had so many people say 'oh, it's the heat. you just need to drink lots of water.' Linds finally got home and I made her feel the sides of my throat and that got her attention. She made me tea with mint, cinnamon, and honey and she went to get me ice cream (oh the coolness felt so good!) and she's asked Amelia to grab me some proper dinner :) I love my sister!
So yeah, drunk parties, awful work days, and sickness are what we are going through at the moment. We wanted this blog to be a place we can put our good times on but I think everyone needs to be aware of some of our bad days too.
On a more positive note (and I do have Lindsey's permission to put this up), Lindsey is going to finally get her tattoo on Friday :) She's going in with Jeff, who is getting his cancer survivors tattoo on his arm. I am determined to drag myself with them if I still feel sick. I want to watch and take pictures!
She's super excited. She's been thinking about this for over a year now and has known exactly what she wants to get. It's just never been the right time, till now. Stay tuned to here and facebook for a picture :)
Oh, and I have decided I am going to post the 'poem' I wrote. I haven't written anything besides school papers since Freshman year and it took some talking to Jeff to get me wanting to write again. (He's apparently also a published poet and won an award at 16. He's also a photographer, master cheese maker, international wine judge, magnificent hospitality worker, and has survived cancer, so.........he awesome!) Anyway, we got to talking books and poems and then he wrote something spontaneous at a wedding and included us in it, which made me teary eyed, and then I couldn't help but want to write. It was kind of driving me nuts.
I ended up writing this. It's definitely not a finished piece, nor may it all forever be true, but here it is:
I fell in love with sunflowers
By Brittney Wheeler
I fell in love with the smell of petrichor,
And from there, learned to relish
Thunderstorms, to marvel in the power
And beauty.
I fell in love with the color of dying leaves
And the sound they make when they crunch
Beneath my feet.
I fell in love with the way the light plays
Across the water and through panes of
Glass, shifting, shimmering light.
I fell in love with the sound of mirth
And the sparkle in laughing eyes
The struggle with held back smiles
And shaking shoulders.
I fell in love with the night
When the sky is clear and
Black nothingness draws your eyes to
Tiny pinpricks of light, silence.
I fell in love with falling
Heart pounding, racing towards
The ground and that small uncertain
Feeling that the chute may catch
I fell in love with a girl
The rapier wit that falls from her mouth
Even when she’s grumpy or sad
She keeps me grounded,
Grounded in this world and several others
I fell in love with travelling
The freedom of choosing where you want
To go
Meeting people, listening to stories,
Learning how to be a better person
The person I dream of being.
Bolder, Calmer, Powerful, Still, Silent.
I fell in love with singing at the top of my lungs
Dancing in dresses that twirl about my
Hips, swish about my bare feet
I fell in love with the smell of lipstick
And the way it reminds me of my
Grandmother
The way she would let us dress up in hats
Too big for us and pearls too valuable for a childs hands
I fell in love with words
Not just their meanings and defintions
But the way they sound in your mouth
Twist you tongue,
Tug your heart,
Trick you mind into saying them over
And over and over and over
I’m so caught up in the look of words
I want to brand their script into my skin
Keep them with me forever, infinite.
I fell in love with possibilities, opportunities,
Long nights, and early, hazy mornings
When there’s a car trip to
The airport, a new destination waiting
I fell in love with the surety of peace
A grace given to those who just believe
And trust that the hard parts are worth it
That storms are worth standing your ground
Sometimes
And sometimes,
Storms are meant to break you, just a part
So you can be put back together with gold
The cracks more beautiful all
For the splendid multitude of them
I fell in love with fictional characters
The Little Prince, Ender, Celia Bowen, Eragon
Danica Shardae, Maximum Ride, Eve Dallas,
Captain Malcom Reynolds, Fat Charlie
They taught me loyalty, strength, passion, dedication
And I fell in love with their creators
Joss Whedon, Neil Gaiman, J.D. Robb
Who taught me that good doesn’t always win
But love is always worth the risk
There doesn’t have to be a happy ending
Your protagonist doesn’t necessarily need a lot of morals,
Just needs to be recognizably human in their imperfection
I fell in love with sunflowers and Halloween
I love both sunshine and midnight
Those blessed and cursed
With fairies, werewolves, magic, symbols, dead languages
Oh, how I’ve fallen in love with languages!
The way they lilt and catch and rasp
Through your entire being
And your brain is telling you it doesn’t
Understand, but your ears are
Straining to pick up every sound
(Gaelic, Arabic, Japanese, Creole, any African dialect)
I fell in love with a married father
On a 30 minute flight from Dublin to London
For telling his son that the clouds
Were marshmallows, that our plane
Was the Enterprise, and, with a great sigh,
“I suppose you can be Han if I can be Chewy.”
I fell in love with the idea of being heroic
Making that snap decision,
Not for the glory, but for
The knowledge that I am capable
Capable of taking care of others
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
As always, thank you for your love and support.
We love you! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Britt and Linds
THANK YOU for sharing your days and your hearts!! You may be a few more miles away than usual, but you feel closer than ever. As I read your poem, I forced the tears to stay in my eyes so I wouldn't have to take time away from reading to wipe my face. Beautiful. Now I can go have a good, enjoyable cry:) Love you, Suzzylou
ReplyDelete