Thursday, May 1, 2014

Working in Australia

We really really like working in Australia. Linds and I both have experience back in the States working within the hospitality industry and while not every state and every venue is going to be the same we have noticed some differences.

For example: Working in the States there is always an attitude of 'when you're at work. you. are. at. work. whatever you're supposed doing, you don't socialize or dilly dally or do something else first. and if you've gotten everything you were supposed to do done, then find something else, look busy, clean everything again. make sure you are always moving'

And really when you read that it's all common sense to us like 'yeah of course why would you dilly dally or socialize while working?'  but here's the thing.....

Every single place we've worked at has blind sided us with this different view of how to act at work. And there's no way to explain this correctly or make it sound like a big deal at all, because until you actually experience something like this first hand it won't makes sense or even matter at all to you. But it has made an impression on us and that's why I thought I'd share, because it's a very subtle thing but it's also made the biggest impact on us as an employee in hospitality.

Okay so here's the thing, when we show up to work 98% of the people we work with are always happy to see you and greet you and generally feel really good about making you feel comfortable as they show you the ropes. I think it goes back to the culture where most people as a rule treat each new person as a friend until proven otherwise.

Then throughout work we have been told over and over again that we 'work too much' or 'work too hard' and Linds and I have stared at them like they're crazy because we haven't done anything out of the ordinary for us. Most co-workers, and even most of the time it's a supervisor, make it a point to socialize while working. They want to know our names, ages, how we like Australia. I've even had an in-depth conversation about the political and social differences between our two countries and why those work or do not work and whose is better, etc...

The biggest thing though are the breaks. Every single place makes it their personal mission to ensure every person gets at least one break. The airport in Brisbane made sure we got three! (15 minutes at the beginning, 30 minutes to eat, 15 at the end). And even if are not scheduled long enough for an proper 30 minute break we are always told to get a drink, and not just a glass of water, oh no, we're allowed to have any soft drinks, tea, or coffee and take the few minutes in back to chug it down.

Most places also insist that we eat too even if we're not on break yet. It's like if there's leftovers from a platter during a banquet it's common knowledge that it is free game till it's thrown out.

This all seems probably a bit weird and unprofessional but the best part about all of this is...it's not. We all work just as hard, with just as much dedication and motivation. In all honesty I feel even more better about going to work knowing I'll be taken care of. And that makes my attitude better throughout my whole shift which reflects back to the customers.

And again I think that stems back to each nations culture. America has a really big thing about all 'work and no play' is what gives you a better life. Here in Australia there's always a holiday to go on (I mean they took two weeks off for Easter). Travelling is encouraged and life in generally is pretty laid back. In the States I feel like we're pressured to go to school, make it into a good college, get a degree, maybe even a masters, and have a job lined up straight out of graduation.

It's part of the reason I decided to come here with Linds. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere yet. Too worried about finding a job straight away and taking the first one that came up. I still don't feel ready, but I am more excited to get back home and into the field I studied while at college. It'd be nice to start building up experience and learning more about the criminal justice system and how I can help.

Linds is forever stuck in hospitality but she likes it there and I think her experience here in Australia and as a front of house employee will make her a better chef and co-worker in the kitchen.

Anyway, thought I'd share. It's just something that we discuss quite a bit and I didn't do a very good job at explaining but oh well :) at least I tried.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Britt, You did a great job of explaining! It's so interesting to hear about other cultures and "get a taste" of life in a different country! Thanks again for blogging -- I think you'll enjoy reading these years from now:)
    Love, Suzzylou

    ReplyDelete