Thursday, March 13, 2014

Half way!

So we're halfway done :) nearly 6 months have gone by since we arrived in Australia and now we're here in Melbourne.

The first three days were a bit stressful. Linds and I stayed in a hostel the first 3 nights so that we could look for places to rent and actually visit the rooms first (a very good idea) and get through transferring our files from Pinnacle.

It was actually one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it used to be a hotel way back when which is why it made such a great hostel. The place is called Nomads All Nation Backpackers. the only downside was no elevator but alas we've gotten used to roping random passerbys (always a guy) to help us carry our duffels :D

the place was great and super helpful. (also had some of the cleanest bathrooms in a hostel ever!)

That was probably one of the things that kept us sane because our room search was not working out. Most places would be taken by the time someone could get back to use, the bonds were always super high (round $800-$1500...ew). We went to see three places.

Behind curtain #1!  this apartment was above a pizza restaurant with four other rooms holding 6 other people. We would make 8. the guy also said there wasn't a bond (yay!) but that we had to pay $900 upfront plus start paying rent but that we'd get that $900 back............dude that's pretty much a bond (even though you're not using a bond agency that's still a security deposit) ugh

#2 this place had a really big and nice room. unfortunately there were 10 other people living in this house and we would have to pay a $700 bond plus first weeks rent $370 plus $75 for cleaning deposit (ugh)

#3 pretty house, very nice lady, so big and spacious and our own upstairs with room and bathroom (I was already sold) plus it had the lowest bond we'd ever seen and weekly rent which includes unlimited wi-fi and all bills.

Guess which one wet took :) It was the last day in our hostel and we were desperate but also we got a good deal.

So, we metaphorically shook on it, Linds and I spent our last night back at the hostel, then spent Friday in our Victoria RSA (responsible service of alcohol) class, then dropped all our documents and stuff at pinnacle before moving in :) yay!

Unfortunately we hit a bit of a snag because the lady at pinnacle we talked to on Friday misunderstood us and our desperation for work right away and told us even if we didn't pay for a police background check to work for one of their main clients, Crown, we would still get work....yeah, no, we spent four days waiting for a call and didn't get one.

So, Wednesday morning Linds called and spoke to someone else and she basically said if we could scrape together enough money to pay for the background check she could give us both work the next day. So we scrambled to put on clothes, jumped on the train, and spent 3 more hours filling out a background check and going through two inductions. But in the end we got a lot of work for the next 3 days :) We'll have a combined check of $1000 for next weeks paycheck since the end of the week is Sunday. That should cover rent, student loans, another food run, and starting our saving up again.

Today has been our good turn about day :) We both worked this morning and Linds had a double shift so she's at her second job today now. She's gonna be tired but this morning was super easy and fun so I think she'll be good. Besides it's nothing like her 16 hour day doing the Soundwave festival (that was so hard).

Also.....for those of you who know about Game of Thrones (either the books or the show) prepare yourselves (or not cuz I already posted pics on facebook)

The Iron Throne came to Melbourne today on it's tour through Australia to promote season 4 :) Linds and I were gearing up for it and freaked out when we had to work today. But we got up early (shocker I know) and made our way to Federation Square (right across the street from the main train station) and the whole time Linds kept asking 'Okay, it's either not set up yet or there will be a ton of people. Which do you think?' and I honestly couldn't say. I wasn't going to get my hopes up that we'd get to see it let alone take pictures but what do you know? It was there :D There were just finishing setting up and there was barely a crowd! I mean Linds and I were in our work uniforms but we were only like 10th in line! guys! we sat on the iron throne :D spleeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!





I also uploaded some new pictures from my phone. I tend to take a lot of better pics from there cuz it's easier to get out and put away so make sure you guys check those out on facebook. Mom has reminded me that I need to label them better. I tend to forget sometimes not everyone is here with me :) Sorry!

Anyways, this is a start of a good last half of our journey and adventure here in Australia. Work is going to be good now that we've got a start, the city is pretty cool with lots to do, we have a few friends from the island here, and we have a good roof over our heads (with a few puppies to give us kisses when we need them). Our plan is to hunker down for the next 3 months, work a lot, and save up so we can do some more fun things in June, July, and August (not too mention maybe a trip as we leave Australia, hopefully to Asia, but if not it'll definitely be to Hawaii).

As we've said before, thank you for your love and support! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Brittney and Lindsey
Till Next Time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment